Future Arena Features
Due to strict building standards and code compliance laws, guidelines and expectations, it would be difficult today to build a “do-it-yourself ” arena like our community did in 1964 and 1965. However, we can still come together with that same spirit and determination as our predecessors did to build an arena that will continue to be an asset and a hub of area activity for our community. We have worked hard to ensure that the Lake of the Woods arena will truly be a community asset. For example, when completed it can be reserved for personal events such as weddings and graduations, for school-related activities such as Physical Education classes and practices for baseball and softball, and for community events such as farmer’s markets or concerts. A community space will be made available to the public for holding meetings and celebrations. We’d also like to develop a skate rental program for recreational skating. An easily accessible, up-to-date, up-to-code arena is sure to draw more visitors to our region, bringing with them families to spend time and money at our stores, restaurants, and resorts.
As Lyle Larson, owner of Ronnings said, “I can tell just by looking at the till if there’s been a hockey tournament.” We want all of our business owners to feel this way. As families consider moving and/or relocating to the Lake of the Woods area, this arena, in conjunction with our esteemed hockey program, is sure to be an asset that will factor favorably in the decision. This website includes some of the highlights and key information regarding the Lake of the Woods (LOW) Community Arena. A complete set of blueprints and dimensional pictures of what the arena will look like is available to the public as well as a more detailed timeline of the work schedule and proposed estimate of costs. A second ice sheet expansion for the future is also shown as well as the cost breakdown for possible additional construction for an enlarged canopy, exterior artwork, and new locker room. We believe a reasonable timeframe for completion of the arena would be 18 months, from start to finish. The plan is to break ground spring of 2017 and have the project completed by Fall of 2017 for the 2017-18 hockey season.
- Arena dimensions, 38,000 sq ft
- Ice sheet, 85 ft X 200 ft
- 650 seat capacity
- Seamless bleachers on one side of the building for easy viewing
- Located right in front of the Lake of the Woods School
- Visible from Highway 11
- Easy to find for visitors
- Within walking distance from the school for program participants
- Meets all building codes
- Arena will be accomodating to senior citizens and handicap as it meets ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) accessibility standards
- A second sheet of ice has been included in the architectural plans and designed to attach to, and share facilities with, the initial LOW arena structure
- Advertising opportunities indoors and outdoors
- Split screen signage to show schedules and activities as well as area advertisers supporting the arena programs